Oxford Dictionaries Online Adds New Words Including Photobomb, Mwahahaha and Tweeps
Posted on August 23, 2012
Oxford University Press has announced the addition of new words to its Oxford Dictionaries Online. Some of the new words include group hug, guilty pleasure, photobomb, lolz, micropig, mwahahaha, photobomb, ridic and tweeps. Here are definitions for some of the new words, according to oxforddictionaries.com.
- Group hug: an instance of a number of people gathering together to hug each other, typically to provide support or express solidarity
- Guilty pleasure: something, such as a film, television program, or piece of music, that one enjoys despite feeling that it is not generally held in high regard
- Lolz: fun, laughter, or amusement
- Micropig: a pig of a very small, docile, hairless variety, sometimes kept as a pet
- Mwahahaha: used to represent laughter, especially manic or cackling laughter such as that uttered by a villainous character in a cartoon or comic strip
- Photobomb: spoil a photograph of (a person or thing) by suddenly appearing in the camera's field of view as the picture is taken, typically as a prank or practical joke
- Ridic: ridiculous
- Tweeps: a person's followers on the social networking site Twitter
You can find a list of all the newly added words here.
Image: Oxford University Press