Does the English language need another word for book? Book a great a word. It is short word that does not have any exact synonyms. There are different types of books that are listed as synonyms on the online synonym dictionaries. Some of the closest synonyms you might encounter include text, edition, hardcover, paperback, novel or work.
These are book synonyms but there is not a synonym for book that covers everything the word book covers. Stone is a great synonym for rock. Book doesn't have a synonym that is this great. Text or edition are probably the best synonyms available but they don't work well if you talking about a novel.
You can find book synonyms at Word Hippo, Synonym.com and Thesaurus.com.
Here are some of the synonyms available for book with some explanations of why they are not perfect.
- Bestiary - only works for books about beasts
- Ebook - works only for electronic versions
- Hardback - doesn't work for paperbacks
- Novel - doesn't work for textbooks and non-fiction
- Opuscule - does not work for larger works
- Reference - good synonym for nonfiction but not for fiction
- Tome - doesn't work for small books
- Work - as in the author's latest work