Blogging Tips(blogging > blogging tips)
Providing tips for blogs can be complex because there are so many different types of blogs. Here are some general tips for increasing traffic to your blog and growing your readership that should apply to most types of blogs.
- Link to Other Bloggers: Linking to other bloggers in your post is one way to get other bloggers to notice you
and possibly gain new readers as a result. Sharing linklove was one of 56 tips shared by bestselling author Seth Godin several years ago. Godin says, "Be sycophantic. Share linklove and expect some back."
- Increase Posting Frequency: You are more likely to grow your readership if you have more to say. A daily blog will tend to have a larger readership than a blog that only has a post or two a month. Blogs that cover a specific subject will likely find it helps to blog about current events related to that subject. Another strategy is less frequent posts that of very high quality.
- Promote Your Blog: There are many ways to promote your blog. You can list it in blog directories. You can use social media
sites, like Facebook and Twitter, to publish your latest posts and drive traffic to your posts. You can add your blog to search engines. You can also promote the blog in the real world through newspapers ads, flyers, mailings, etc. You can also attend events, such as conferences, where you might be able to meet other blgogers and find readers for your blog.
- Build a Community: If you can get some regular commenters on your blog it can help grow traffic. There is a drawback here as it will take an increasing amount of time and effort to battle spam on a busy comment section.
- Permalinks with Keywords: Use permalinks that have keywords in them. This way the URLs themselves give potential readers an idea of what your post is about. It has also been known to help with SEO.
- Save Some Posts for a Rainy Day: Squirrel some blog nuts away as we said in a previous post. These emergency posts or post ideas you save may come in handy. The topics will need to be general enough that they will still seem fresh when used months or years later.
- SEO and Web Design: You should do your best to follow good web design principles and SEO practices. Some of the established blog platforms take care of many of these issues for you.
- Use Restraint: Try and hold back when you can. Remain civil. It is okay to be edgy and snarky to a point but if your blog offends too many you may find yourself without an audience. If you are young blogger you should also keep in mind that employers may read your blog (or Twitter feed) years from now. It can difficult to remove content from the Internet once it has been published. Hopefully, most have learned this lesson by now.
Here is some blogging news from our @bloggersblog Twitter. Be sure to follow @bloggersblog for the latest blogging news and trends.
Tweets by @bloggersblog