Barnes and Noble announced the six finalists for its 2012 Discover Great New Writers Awards. The first place winners receive a $10,000 cash prize and a year of promotion from Barnes & Noble. The winners in each category, fiction and nonfiction, receive a $10,000 prize and a full year of additional promotion from Barnes & Noble. Second place finalists get $5,000, and third-place finalists get $2,500. The finalists are:
- Amanda Coplin, The Orchardist (HarperCollins)
- Eowyn Ivey, The Snow Child (Reagan Arthur Books/Little, Brown)
- Karen Thompson Walker, The Age of Miracles (Random House)
- Katherine Boo, Behind the Beautiful Forevers (Random House)
- Kristen Iversen, Full Body Burden (Crown Publishers/Random House)
- Cheryl Strayed, Wild (Alfred A. Knopf/Random House)
The bookseller will announce the winners at a private awards ceremony on
Wednesday, March 6th. The awards honor the best works featured the previous calendar year in the Barnes & Noble Discover Great New Writers program.
The fiction judges are authors Lan Samantha Chang,
Alan Cheuse, and Karl Marlantes. The nonfiction judges include
authors Susan Cheever, Wendy McClure, and Touré.