The Air Line Pilots Association, International
535 Herndon Parkway Herndon
Contact: Hoa Tran
Location: Herndon, VA
Telecommuting Considered: no
Job Description: Aviation Senior Content Writer - Not a typical technical writer; this position is primarily responsible for researching and writing technical aviation news.
The Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA), the largest airline pilot union in the world and the largest non-governmental aviation safety organization in the world seeks a seasoned aviation communications specialist for our Herndon, Virginia, office. ALPA represents over 52,000 pilots at 31 U.S. and Canadian airlines. The Senior Technical Writer is responsible for researching and writing technical aviation news, advocacy pieces, and speeches that advance the Association’s strategic goals and promote ALPA’s value to its members. S/he researches and writes all technical aviation news and most technical feature material. To be successful, s/he will stay well-informed on technical developments throughout the aviation industry, monitoring the activities of the FAA, NTSB, TC, TSA, TSB, and other government agencies on issues relevant to the membership. S/he also reports on activities of the ALPA Air Safety Organization.
Day-to-day, s/he drafts copy for Air Line Pilot magazine, as well as content for speeches, internal messaging (e.g., FastRead), ALPA’s websites, white papers, fact sheets, video scripts, infographics, house/paid ads, MEC/LEC publications, and other member outreach, including executive correspondence and action alerts. S/he also writes speeches and prepares ALPA leadership for various events – both external and internal – such as testimony before Congress or Parliament, aviation industry meetings and panel discussions, Association meetings, and more.
Interpersonal communication skills must include the ability to establish and maintain rapport with air carrier flight crews and technical experts while monitoring membership opinions, trends, and events relevant to ALPA’s goals. S/he must also be able to manage numerous projects simultaneously.
Local and national travel required, with the possibility of some international travel: 10%.
Interested applicants are requested to submit online portfolio link(s) showing previous work.
Minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Bachelor's degree in relevant area, e.g., Journalism, Communications, English, or related field, from an accredited college or university required; master’s degree or completion of post-graduate courses in related field preferred; or, the equivalent combination of education and practical experience.
- Five (5) or more years of advocacy communications or journalism experience required.
- Aviation experience and/or knowledge strongly preferred.
- Extensive writing experience, particularly with technical content and speeches.
- Exceptional writing skills, delivering the highest quality copy for multiple projects on time, every time.
- Strong strategic judgment and skills necessary to interact with national officers, directors, and committee chairmen.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, oral and written, for effective interaction with internal staff, line pilots, pilot committees, officers, governing bodies, external contacts, and others, as required.
- Attention to detail, especially when reviewing and editing.
- Must be a self-starter with professional maturity and sound judgment, capable of independent decision-making.
- Must possess exceptional time management skills; be able to work in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment; and, transition easily between projects.
- Photography skills a plus.
- Software: Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint required.
Note: The physical demands described herein are characteristic of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential physical activities of this position described below.
Constantly operates a computer/smartphone/tablet. Regularly required to maintain a stationary position, move about the office, determine what others have said or written, and converse with others and exchange accurate information.
Regularly required to sit, stand, bend, reach, and move about the office and travel (locally, nationally, and internationally). May also include occasional bending, stooping, squatting, and/or pushing and pulling or moving, e.g., to pack, unpack, and/or move cases.
Occasionally required to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve audio/video equipment, binders, books, boxes, and files up to ten (10) pounds (lbs.). While on travel, could be responsible to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve binders, boxes, cases, and/or files weighing as much as 50 lbs. (Assistance may not always be available.)
Please apply online at https://jobs-alpa.icims.com/jobs/1196/senior-technical-writer/job
ALPA offers competitive salaries with excellent benefits, including:
- 26 days paid vacation and holidays per year;
- Generous sick and bereavement leave;
- Generous health care benefits – PPO, two HMO’s (where available) and a High Deductible Health Plan which includes coverage for medical, dental, and vision benefits for employee, spouse, and/or dependent children;
- Company-paid premiums for disability and life insurance;
- $2 for $1 matching 401(k) retirement savings plan; Roth 401k;
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings accounts; and
- Retiree health plan.
Relocation not provided.
How To Apply: Please apply online at https://jobs-alpa.icims.com/jobs/1196/senior-technical-writer/job
This job listing was posted on September 17, 2015. Please mention that you are replying to the job ad listed on The Write Jobs.