Location: Arlington, VA
Telecommuting Considered: No
Job Description: Are you a creative, analytic writer, an action-oriented self-starter, highly curious with a positive "can do" attitude and a passion for conservation? Rare is seeking an accomplished, creative writer to help bring compelling brand stories to life. With demonstrated excellence you excel in the following areas:
- Crafting highly engaging human-interest and high impact stories about people and nature;
- Proven ability to translate scientific information into accessible and meaningful terms for diverse stakeholders; and
- Experience authoring op-eds and drafting media-facing communications.
This position requires someone with two (2) plus years of experience in scientific and/or human interest reporting and fact checking with an ability to translate data and complex concepts to an un-technical audience in an interesting and compelling manner. Proven ability to interview subjects, many of which are not native English speakers, over the phone is essential and demonstrated success conducting background research to tell accurate and persuasive stories. The ideal candidate will have experience in the following:
- Great storytelling and strong communication skills;
- Meticulous attention to detail, excellent project management skills and the ability to work under tight deadlines while juggling many projects;
- Experience in writing for donor communications, marketing and press materials, web content and social media highly preferred.
- A background in work related to brand equity development, social media communications, digital content development, and newsletter editorial and donor stewardship a plus;
- A clear understanding of conservation issues preferred;
- Master’s in Journalism or English preferred, but not required; and
- Proficiency in Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Tagalog, and/or Bahasa Indonesia language skills a plus.
- Rare is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.
Education: BA Required; Master\'s Preferred
Experience: Two (2) plus years of experience in scientific and/or human interest reporting and fact checking with an ability to translate data and complex concepts to an un-technical audience in an interesting and compelling manner.
How To Apply: Interested candidates should visit and apply to: www.rare.org/careers
This job listing was posted on March 6, 2015. Please mention that you are replying to the job ad listed on The Write Jobs.