What is a Journal Prompt?
A journal prompt is anything that helps inspire and motivate you to write in your journal. It can be a question, a picture, thinking about something you did recently, a newspaper headline, etc. Simply asking yourself the question, "What should you write about in your journal?," might prompt you to create an entry.
Sometimes we all get a little stuck and we can't think of what to write in our journal. The blank page can be intimidating but it doesn't have to be. You can write about anything you want. You can write about what your cat is doing. You can write about the thing someone said that is still bothering you. You can write your thoughts on the last film or television show you watched. You can write something private if you are sure no one is going to read your journal. I can be constructive and therapeutic to write your thoughts down if you are seemingly writing about nothing important.
If you are a creative writer and you like fiction or poetry you should check out our pages on writing prompts and poetry prompts. These ideas might inspire you start a story or quickly write a poem that will quickly make that blank page disappear.
Here is a list of journal prompts to inspire you to write in your journal. These are ideas to help you out when you are stuck. Choose any topic you like.
- What is the weather like? How does it make you feel?
- What happened to you today? Anything unique or unusual?
- What do you wish happened today?
- Think about something from the past. How are things different now?
- What was the best meal you had today?
- Have you bought any new products lately? What are they like?
- How long will it be before you go on a trip? Where do you want to go?
- Did anything interesting happen in the world today? How about among your friends? On social media?
- Where do you see yourself twenty years from now?
- Write out your To-Do List for tomorrow but make it sound exciting, like you are going on a great adventure!
- Think back to a specific day from your childhood. Write about it.
- Are there any prizes or awards you would like to win? Is there one you deserve that doesn't exist? Write about it.
- Have you received any interesting email lately? How about a letter in the mail? Is there journal material in your recent email or letters?
- When was the last time you went out for a coffee or drink? What happened? Anything that you want to write down?
- Imagine if you could take three weeks off work. Where would you go? What would you do?
- If you could study any course you wanted what would it be?
- Think of a famous nursery rhyme. Put yourself in place of one of the characters.
- Describe your backyard in detail.
- Write about feeding your pets(s). What do they like to eat? How hungry are they?
- Is there anything you regret tweeting or posting on Facebook. Anything worth discussing on Instagram. Maybe an Instagram photograph you saw can inspire a writing idea?
- Are there any sentimental items in your room that you can write about?
- Write about something that made you really happy?
- Write about a scary time or place in your life.
- Imagine technology had advanced more slowly. There are no smartphones. How would your life be different now. Would have met the same people? Had the same experiences?
- Describe a recent attempt at cooking a new dish. How did it go? Who shared the meal with you?
- Go the website of your local newspaper. Write about an event taking place in your city.
- Describe your writing workspace. On you writing in a journal? On a notepad? On your computer or laptop?
- Write about how you would feel if someone stole your journal and the entire journal was now on the front of nytimes.com.
- Write about your eye and hair color.
- Write about how long it would take you to run around your apartment or house. How about a walk or run around the block. What would you wear? Do you wave to everyone?
- Write about the last time you were sick. How long did it take you to feel better?
- Does writing in your journal help you relax. Explain.
- When you do last go to a restaurant. Describe the experience.
- Flip back to an old diary page and read it. What about it surprises you?
- Write about what you think would happen if stole a political sign from a neighbor's yard and put it in your yard.
- Think of a fun sign you could put in your yard or a neighbor's yard. What would it say?
- Write about a recent online order you made. Where you happy with your purchase?
- Write about an item you want to own.
- Write about a trip to the ocean.
- Write about the best snowy day you ever experienced.
- Write about why you decided to start a journal.
- Write about something your pet likes to do.
- Write about a recent dream or daydream.